Thursday 25 October 2012

Rose and Trellis Sweater

So this is a hoody which I designed back in 2010. It was actually the very first thing I ever designed from scratch, and looking back it was definitely fairly adventurous to say I had only been knitting a bit over a year.

I have always intended to write the pattern up and grade it into a few sizes and either try and submit it to a magazine or just publish it via Rav. Now I've been saying since the end of 2010 that I would get it written up. But let's face it, this is me I procrastinate like mad! There are always new and shiny things to cast on, or learn, oh and let's not forget I had begun my university course by then. Actually I'm surprised I didn't write up the pattern simply to avoid doing coursework....

Here is a (terrible) picture of the sweater, taken just after I finished it. I will most certainly be taking other pictures of it in order to make the pattern more appealing!

I'll talk you through the inspiration and the basics of the pattern. My friend Kyla from Glasgow had this gorgeous Aran weight hoody with a really flattering cable and lace pattern on it that she often wore. It was a shop bought item but I always liked it and I decided I would use it as inspiration for my first garment designed by me, especially when after searching through Rav I couldn't find anything which looked like it.

So after looking in pattern books for a hoody design to base the basics shape on and using a stitchonary or two I cobbled it together with I feel a lot of success. I knew I wanted a very fitted hoody, even though Kyla's was really quite baggy (approx 6 inches positive ease). I wanted the stitch pattern to open up and to mold nicely to my body. As a result the body of the hoody has no waist shaping. I have lost weight since I designed/knit this and currently have a more distinguishable waist, which due to the pure wool fibre and the stretchiness of the stitch pattern, it shows my curves well and doesn't appear baggy.

The hoody is called Rose and Trellis after the stitch pattern which reminds me of a wooden trellis framework and a cable reminded me of roses, plus the fact I happened to knit it in red helped a lot with that association.

The Knitter magazine used to get knit groups to send in finished objects they wished to show off. Our group was contacted our items were published in issue 24, I sent this is and it was photographed really nicely. I wish I could use it for my pattern but you know, copy write is a bugger ;). However here's a wee picture of the article

Even on this lassy, who is a good size or two smaller than me, the hoody sits so well on her (even if I do say so myself....)

After this article I got a lot of feedback from people through Rav, but also the magazine forwarded on some really nice feedback they had gotten about asking me if I was intending to write the pattern up.

So anyway lot ramble short, I'm nearly there!! I started a few weeks ago, when after finishing my uni course, moving back home, and being totally bored out of my face, I figured I really ought to be a bit more productive. I have been really stuck for a few days about the armholes. But I think today a lot of things just slotted into place and I had a good solid 5/6 hours at it. I also decided to have a fiddle around with writing it up with the option of a hood and with a shawl collar (no hood) as well, as I figure many people won't really want to wear a hoody dependant on age/personality. ETA: This is definitely going to be incorporated in the final pattern. So after some test knitting, ironing the pattern out, and a bit of editing, hopefully I'll be able to publish it in the new year! Fingers crossed, wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment