Friday 24 February 2012

The story behind Lemniscate Socks

It seems that in the world of sock knitters there are the two camps of toe up and cuff down knitters. I wonder if I am one of the few who seems to visit one of them dependant what mood I'm in, rather than only ever doing the one version because most of the knitters I have met seem to be firmly in one camp or the other. In my trawls through Ravelry when I have been looking for a sock to do most patterns I have seen are written for only one version, therefore dependant on what mood I'm in I'll just glance at it and then move onto the next one.

I figured that even experienced sock knitters even though they may be easily able to re work the sock to their preferred method are still less likely to pop it in their queue or buy it if its not done in their preferred method, so I decided to develop a pattern which worked well viewed from either way, and wrote the pattern cuff down and toe up! Hurrah!

When I was first developing the pattern on the charting software I recently bought (intwined) at one point I had 6 charts! I hate patterns that have too much information and too many charts to follow and after some serious reworking I ended up creating a chart which incorporated both sizes (Women's medium and large) which both versions, cuff down and toe up, could follow. I have to say I did a little dance when I managed to create it!

Then there was the name. At first when the chart was finished the cable patterns looked like round hay bales and shafts of wheat and so it was going to be called "Hay Bales". But once I began to knit the sock myself I realised the cables looked like the infinity symbol. After a quick google search I found that another name for the symbol was lemniscate and I just thought it was perfect!
Here is a link to one of my testers "Eternal Arts and Crafts" blog posts about testing the sock and one about the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment